“Vishing” is defined as the fraudulent practice of making phone calls or leaving voice messages, pretending to be from reputable companies, in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as bank account or credit card numbers. It is one of the most common ways that cybercriminals access people’s accounts and drain their money.
The financial industry as a whole is seeing an uptick in this type of activity, and we want to remind you how you can fight back. Here are some important reminders:
- RBT and other legitimate banks will NEVER call, email, or text you and ask you for confidential information. If you are ever unsure of something that has our name on it, give us a call at 800.640.1166 for confirmation.
- Monitor your bank account transactions through Online and Mobile Banking.
- Enroll in Card Controls and set up Account Alerts to get real-time notifications of activity on your account.
- Exercise EXTREME caution before granting remote access to your PC, especially if you did not initiate the session.
- Do not click on links in emails that you were not expecting.
- Do not share passwords.
- If you suspect fraud, notify us immediately.